According to the National Fire Protection Association, clothing dryers are a major cause of home fires each year in the United States. These fires can be avoided with simple maintenance and some common sense. Homeowners need to do more than simply cleaning the lint trap with every load of laundry. Below you will find tips to help you stay safe.
Dryer Maintenance Tips
- Clean lint trap after every load of laundry.
- Quarterly, vacuum out the lint trap area using the thin vacuum attachment.
- Annually, move the dryer duct work to inspect and clean out build up of lint.
- Use only approved metal ducting. Plastic or vinyl ducts should be replaced.
- Never leave the dryer running when leaving and no one is home to monitor.
- Always follow the manufacture’s operating instructions.
- Dryer Safety Tips from the NFPA – http://www.nfpa.org
- Clothes Dryer and Washing Machine Fact Sheet from the NFPA – http://www.nfpa.org
Additional home maintenance tips:
Find more home maintenance tips in this video.
In Need of Further Assistance:
Contact your Nest Home Adviser to arrange to have an inspection and cleaning your clothes dryer ducts.
Article written by Chuck Solomon a home improvement and small business consultant.